* Prices subject to change without notice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should you find yourself with no heat, please read the following steps or ask yourself the following questions before making a service call:
1. Is your thermostat set at the proper temperature? Is it set above the current room temperature?
If you have a digital thermostat, check to make sure the batteries are operating property or replace them.
2. Is your emergency switch on?
Check to make sure the switch is in the ‘on’ position. Check all fuses and circuit breakers to make sure they are turned on.
3. Check your oil tank- Is it empty?
If so, call us immediately at (617)328-3345.
4. How do I read the float gauge on my oil tank?
You should locate the top of the float to see how full your tank is.
5. Has the burner control moved to reset, shutting itself off?
If so, press only once to reset.
*Important: If the burner turns on and then shuts off within two minutes, then call us immediately at (617)328-3345. DO NOT press the reset button again!
6. Where is my reset button located?
The reset button is located on the control on the burner, and is normally on the right side of this control. Reset buttons are usually red.
7. How does the delivery person know when to stop filling the tank when delivering to my home?
Most delivery systems incorporate an alarm system, which whistles when the tank is filling up and then stops when the tank is full.
8. How often should I have my equipment serviced?
We recommend servicing your heating system on an annual basis to ensure that it is running safely and efficiently.
9. Do you offer service plans?
Burke Oil offers a variety of service plans to address your particular home heating or commercial delivery needs. See services and maintenance page.
10. When should I have my heating system tuned up?
We suggest tuning up your system between March and October to ensure that it will be ready to operate efficiently for the upcoming winter months.
11. What should the pressure on my boiler be?
We recommend that you keep your pressure at approximately 15 psi.
12. How much oil do I have in my tank?
The following measurements are based on a 275-gallon tank:
¾ tank=206 gallons
½ tank=137 gallons
¼ tank=70 gallons
13. What does my annual heating system tune-up include?
Our Burke Oil tune-ups include the following:
- Thorough brushing and vacuuming of the system and smoke pipe
- Replacement of the oil burner nozzle
- Replacement of the filter at the oil tank
- Inspection of the ignition system to the burner, adjustment of electrodes
- Visual inspection to ensure mechanics are in working order
- Oil power venter motors and certain types of circulators
- Efficiency test of the system
- 15-point checklist to evaluate overall condition of system